Wednesday 28 August 2013

A finish... Dresden flowers

Low and behold. I finished something bigger than a baby quilt. Im happy to show off my Dresden flower meet rainbow quilt. This was one of those projects where I wanted to do everything at once. It really started of with my sweet son, who gave me 10 fat quarters of... well.. very interesting fabrics that he had picked out himself. We're talking cows, zebras, cats, knives 'n forks -all in black and white. I had no idea what to use it for, but thought that if I blended it in with others they could be part of a background. I also wanted to make a quilt in rainbows colors. And also to try my new Dresden ruler. So this is the result - a whopping 80"x 60" quilt mess :)
 
Dresden quilt

There's a lot of firsts for me here... Dresdens obviously. And making the flower stems too.  I had to consult the (in my opinion) Queen of Dresdens Stephanie @ loftcreations, who kindly nudged me in the right direction with a great tutorial

The back is just lots and lots of white dots on dark grey and a rainbow. 

image

When I look at this I don't know if I'm a 100% happy about my own abilities. Did I make the appliqué good enough. Are my circles round enough. It was definately learning in progress. But I know that I really, really like the end result. It's a happy, energetic and funny quilt.

And yes, it has all the cows, zebras, cats, knives 'n forks and other quirky fabrics... and I think of my son every time I see them 

image


8 comments:

  1. Jumping up and down with delight. You son must be quite pleased with the use of the fabric gift. I think you've used is beautifully. Oh happy day -- dresdens always make me smile. Congratulations on an amazing finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job using all those fabrics AND learning a bunch of new stuff too! That's very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is gorgeous, Cille.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a stunner, and a very original one too!
    I love it how you put ALL of your ideas and wishes in one quilt!
    Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely fantastic! I love the use of the black/white/gray fabrics and the spectacular dresden flowers.

    You should be super proud of this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cille! This is just amazing quilt! I love your unique design! Wonderful idea to make a quilt and then decorate it over with beautiful colours! Backing is also super! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS!!! IS !!!! GORGEOUS!!! I love it!!! What a great quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out so gorgeous! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete